Click for a larger image
The Lyric Theater as it appears today. The building is located at Northwest Second Avenue and Eighth Street and was owned by Gedar Walker, a Black man who had the building constructed in 1917. It became the most prominent building in Black Miami and was the center of social life in the community in the 1920s and 1930s.
 

 
An Alley view, looking north between Fourth and Fifth Avenues at about Thirteenth or Fourteenth Street in Colored Town, circa 1930. By the 1930s and 1940s the living conditions of Colored Town were at their worst. Pressure mounted to find new housing areas for Blacks.

Click for a larger image
 

 


Historic Booker T. Washington High School shortly after it's construction in 1927. Prior to the opening of the school, Black children in Miami could not get an education beyond the eighth grade. Black parents who wanted their children to earn a high school diploma had to send them away to boarding schools.


Click for a larger image
 

 
Click for a larger image
The Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church as it appears today. Established in 1894, this is the oldest Black Church in Dade County. It is located at Douglas Road and Charles Avenue in the Grove. It's Bahamian roots are still apparent.
 


[Home] [Intro] [Page 1] [Page 2] [Page 3] [Page 4] [Page 5] [Page 6] [Page 7] [Page 8] [Timeline]